What is the colon and what does it do?
The colon, or large intestine, is the end portion of the human gastrointestinal tract. It is a muscular tube of approximately 5 1/2 to 6 feet long and has an average diameter of approximately 2 1/2 inches. The main functions of the colon are absorption of water and minerals, and the formation and elimination of fecal matter. The colon contains billions of nearly 60 varieties of micro flora, these bacteria aid digestion, promote vital nutrient production, maintain pH (acid-base) balance, and prevent proliferation of harmful bacteria.
What is colon hydrotherapy?
Colon hydrotherapy, also known as colonics, is a safe and effective method of removing toxins from the large intestines without the use of drugs. It is a controlled method of cleansing the colon using a mechanical flow of warm, pure, filtered and temperature regulated water, infused gently into the colon by a sterilized rectal nozzle. As a result, the human waste is softened, loosened, and moved through the colon.
What are some of the signs and symptoms that the colon is not operating efficiently?
- Chronic Fatigue
- Brain Fog
- Swelling of Legs
- Bad Breath
- "Pot Belly"
- Body Odor
Who needs colon hydrotherapy?
The typical American diet consisting of high fat, low-fiber, refined sugar, bleached flour, and processed food high in preservatives and toxins is the primary reason the colon becomes so unhealthy. As these unnatural foods move through the colon, fluids are absorbed during the digestive process, and a very sticky waste is created. This waste clings to the colon walls putrefying, giving off toxins and creating mucoid plaque. When these toxins are absorbed from within the body's digestive system and into your blood stream, it can lead to autointoxication or self-poisoning.
What are the therapeutic effects of Colon Hydrotherapy?
- It has an antiseptic and solvent action on the intestines; impacted fecal matter and other toxins are removed from the colon.
- Increases the water level and diuretic action of the body. Water is absorbed into the body, which increases the volume of the blood, increasing circulation, resulting in greater bathing of the individual cells, thus diluting toxins and flushing them out, and increasing elimination both through the kidneys and skin as well as the bowel.
- The liver is the main detoxification organ of the body. Many colon x-rays show that the pressure of constipation is exerted in the liver area, resulting in irritation to both liver and gall bladder as well as to the common bile duct. This delays and obstructs the normal draining of these organs - a condition which is often alleviated through colon hydrotherapy.
- Reshapes - over time, the natural shape of the colon may become distorted, which may cause more colon problems. After a series of colonics, the colon will begin to regain its shape.
- Cleanses and balances the colon - impaction is removed and stagnation is reduced.
- Aids in removing parasites, internal gas, and cellular debris.
- Improves muscle tone. The gentle infusion of water, combined with the emptying of the colon, causes peristaltic activity, the natural movement of the bowels.
- Improves the lymphatic system since the human body does not have a pump for that system.
How does a colonic session work?
A colon cleansing is a gentle, warm water washing of the colon (large intestine), combined with abdominal massage. The procedure uses a colonic irrigation unit, and lasts approximately 1 hour. Every effort is made to ensure that the session is a comfortable and positive experience, with the client completely covered at all times. The irrigation unit regulates the water pressure and temperature. A short speculum attached to a hose is inserted, allowing the water to flow in under gentle pressure and cleanse the entire length of the colon of toxic waste. During the session, a series of gentle water fills and releases, helping to stimulate the expansion and contraction of the muscular walls of the colon. This, combined wit a changing of the water temperature from warm to cool during the cleansing, thus exercising the colon, promotes the restoration of proper peristalsis action. Waste is discharged through the machines viewing tube for observation and then flushed directly out the drainage system.
How many colonic hydrotherapy sessions does a person need?
The number of sessions varies depending on the condition and goal of the individual. A series of 12 sessions, one per week, is recommended. A maintenance program would include one session every three months or change of season. Some clients choose to have a session once a month for ongoing cleansing and toning. If you are on a fasting or detoxification program, it is highly recommended that you include colonics as part of it. In addition, if you get sick, colonics will help with lymphatic drainage, speeding up your healing. Clients that have the most success complete the recommended series.
Is colon hydrotherapy safe for everyone?
Colon hydrotherapy is not administered if you are diagnosed with aneurysm, congestive heart failure, uncontrolled seizures, hypertension, renal insufficiency, and cirrhosis of the liver or colon cancer. Colon hydrotherapy is also contraindicated during the first and last trimester of pregnancy. Clients should wait a minimum of 6 weeks after abdominal surgery. In addition, colonics are not administered for clients with inflammatory bowel diseases; such as, colitis, crohn's disease or diverticulitis. Certain medications may be risky since they thin the intestinal walls; high dosage, long-term use of oral steroidal anti-inflammatory such as prednisone is an example of this. The therapist will ask questions about your health to rule out any contraindications before the appointment is made.